Wednesday, April 16, 2008

News and Notes and Maybe Some Ranting

I'm going to let you know now that I can go off on rants, and although they may be unexpected, I will do the best that I can to warn you before I engage in any. Alright.

The Brewers signed Jeff Weaver. Does anyone care? I don't. He'll spend a while at AAA, June 1st he can become a free agent, and then maybe get a call up. Yovani Gallardo, who I would like healthy for my baseball pools, gets healthy, the Brew Crew would already have a six man deep staff. Making it a seventh makes sense, especially if the Brewers sink and trade Ben Sheets, who is a potential FA, or others get hurt, pitch poorly, you know the deal. Having six starters and some guy doesn't make sesnse. Throw the million that Weaver will cost at someone like Prince Fielder, A GUY THAT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE, and he has. Weaver was terrible with the Mariners last season. Yeah, he had a couple good outings, not much sarcasm there, but I can't look past a 6.20 ERA in 27 starts. In about 24 of those starts he did bad. Let's think here. He won seven games, that's fine. But in the 13 losses, if the Mariners replaced him with me, then the M's probably would only have 11-12 losses on their hands. The other teams would be laughing at me pitching, not that I suck, I'm actually pretty good, against like non-major leaguers, that I'd be able to sneak in a few outs here and there and get s win. Time for Jeff to screw up another year of an organization's time. Scotty Boras is now the most smartest person in the world for being able to sell Weaver's 2006 season to the Mariners for the same $8.35M he earned with the Angels and Cardinals in 2006. Weaver catches on somewhere else because of Boras' hypnotic power to get people to do what he wants.

Ken Griffey Jr. hit home run number 595 yesterday off of the Cubs' Ryan Dempster. Dempster was the 379th pitcher that Kenny has hit a homerun off of in his Cooperstown career. Of course he was wearing number 42 yesterday in honour of Jackie Robinson. Griffey is sixth on the all time list, and is fourteen homers behind Sammy Sosa for fifth on the all time homerun list. Ken is the guy that pretty much everybody would rather have had chasing Hank Aaron's 755 instead of Barry Bonds*. If Griffey hadn't gotten injured on so many freak plays during his Seattle days, then maybe he would be around 750 by now. Maybe I'll try and figure out where he might be someday.

The Pittsburg Penguins swept the Ottawa Senators out of the NHL playoffs, 4-0. The NHL got what they wanted, their Golden Boy Sidney Crosby in the second round of the playoffs. Jarkko Ruutu, who is known league wide for the Chris Simon stomp, more then his goal scoring ability, or lack there of, broke the 1-1 tie, and won the game for the Pens. 1992 was the last time that the Penguins swept a team in the playoffs, when they swept the Chicago Blackhawks.

Continued...

No comments: